Friday 9 December 2011

Magnificat

And Mary said:

My soul glorifies the Lord

I set out on my journey some weeks ago now. The roads have been very dry and dusty and the journey has been tiring because of this sickness. I hold my secret close like a precious thing. "Do not be afraid" echoes through my mind and so I concentrate on this. Elizabeth is a faithful friend and she will believe me. We had heard that she and Zechariah have their own miracle to treasure. Although it seems less complicated than my own situation. There is nothing to be mis-understood. They are married after all. I have decided though, to not worry about Joseph. I cannot help but think that for something so miraculous and wondrous, that the Almighty can reassure a man's heart and given him peace and purpose.


and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant.

Now almost 2 months ago, I was at home cleaning. Waiting to go visit Joseph's family. It was an ordinary day, ordinary tasks and little things to do. Dusty Nazareth on a an ordinary hot and dusty day, and one of the smallest houses in the town. No-one important. Not the place of kings and no palaces to be seen. Quietly out of the mid-day heat came, this great being with great news. Of great joy. For everyone. And for me out of the amazement and fear, peace and a settled-ness, that God will care for me, as he saw me, that village girl. I have pondered this more than anything. The humility of it all. Not for me, but for God to be humble, to choose a person of no importance and no grandeur. It makes me wonder as to the kind of man, this Son of God will be. A humble king. A king not born in a palace.

From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me— holy is his name.


I am with Elizabeth now. It has indeed been a wonderful thing to come here. She knew immediately. Without even being told, she exclaimed that her own baby had moved within her. "But why am I so favoured, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?.....Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished."



Another blessing. I was thinking that I would at the very least, have to tell Elizabeth my news and that she would hopefully believe me but I arrive, and she knew. She knew. I had not cried. But I cried with relief, then, because another person was filled with wonder and belief. The Mighty One is mighty indeed and he is doing great things for me. And how I am blessed!

His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation.


To think that the Messiah is coming. The long awaited King. I look back and think of promises made. Isaiah the prophet. Ezekiel telling of a time to come. My people. My waiting people, wayward but praying for deliverance now, and waiting, so much waiting. And it is here! I want to cry out from the rooftops. Burning deep seated excitement and joy. There is a strangeness though to it all, that perhaps in this humble Son of God, born to this girl of no consequence, that there is something coming that we don't expect in a Messiah. Or might not want. "He will save his people from their sins", the angel said. No great over-turning of the Romans, but forgiveness of sins. So it is strange and mysterious.

He has performed mighty deeds with his arm;

Saved. A Saviour. "You will call him Yeshua. Jesus." Joshua. He Saves. He saved us from the Egyptians. He carried us in the wilderness. He brought down the walls of Jericho. He raised up a man after his own heart. Even after the disobedience of my people, He preserved a remnant. Mighty deeds with a mighty and loving arm. "For He will save his people from their sins".


he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts. He has brought down rulers from their thrones but has lifted up the humble. He has filled the hungry with good things but has sent the rich away empty.

This humble Son of God. Born in humility. My thoughts turn back to this, that God did not choose the great to bring his Son into the world. Not even the daughter of a Rabbi. Or a great and wealthy Jew. So much to ponder and treasure in this wondrous thing. I cannot comprehend it. I have to trust Him though. Trust in his power and his goodness. Trust that the God who can bring rulers down, will care for me and care for the baby to be born.


He has helped his servant Israel, remembering to be merciful to Abraham and his descendants forever, just as he promised our ancestors.”

My people. My waiting people. Oh that they will see, when this time comes. "The people walking in darkness have seen a great light.." Oh that they will see the great light that is dawning. Meanwhile, I wait myself. Wait for this baby to be born. I am safe with Elizabeth now but I will soon return home and my heart can fret. But I will not fret and God will care and provide.

Luke 1:46-55

No comments:

Post a Comment